Countdown to Christmas 2018

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Thrift Store Find on Labor Day Frank E. Post


I was at the AmVets Thrift Store on Labor Day and they were having a 50% off sale on everything in the store.

I had gone looking for Christmas albums, but only found one and being the store was so packed and had a very long line to the cashiers, I decided to put the album back and just go home.

On my way out, I spotted TELCO's Frank E. Post The Singing Lamppost. I didn't want to take a chance of the checkout line getting longer so I didn't go back to the record section of the store and just got in line with "Frank" and waited about 20 minutes to reach the registers, but it was well worth the wait.

When I saw this at the AmVets Thrift Store, I couldn't pass it up. It was marked $3.98 but being on sale, I got it for $1.99. This particular one actually came from Bronners Store and retailed for $39.99 but had a sale sticker on it for $29.99. and then had the red tape that Bronners uses to show you paid for an item on the box. It even had the original plastic bag that it was sealed in as well as the cardboard sleeve that was around the lamppost.

I bought one of these several years ago at K-Mart's after Christmas Sale for $20.00 but ended up selling it along with other Christmas items on eBay just before Christmas the following year as I needed to get some money to buy presents for my family.

Since then, I've been looking for this on eBay, but usually it didn't have the original box and was expensive and the shipping was overly expensive too.

I posted a video of this on Youtube, (there are several others of this item there too) but the audio isn't very loud and it was also very hissy and I can't figure a way to amplify the audio or get rid of the hiss. My Digital Video camera automatically saves in .MOV format. This was my first try at creating a video for Youtube.

The video is is in HD. I tried embedding it in this post, but it was too large for the columns and didn't look right so instead, I'm including the link to the video on Youtube here.

13 comments:

Thaun said...

Thanks to this. I really love those kind of Christmas songs that makes you really feel the spirit. Even though i'm only 31, it brings back the good old days. Can't wait for you next share.

Thaundadogg said...

Thanks to this. I really love those kind of Christmas songs that makes you really feel the spirit. Even though i'm only 31, it brings back the good old days. Can't wait for you next share.

Susan said...

You're welcome Thaundadogg,

Even the lights and decorations back then were in many ways a lot better than they are today, though the newer ones are more energy efficient.

The Christmas music they play nowadays isn't the same as it was back then. Though I've got 21 years on you lol I prefer the older artists that you don't hear on the radio anymore.

Susan

Thaundadogg said...

yeah! and listening to the old ones makes me feel the Christmas atmosphere, like there's snow here, things like that.Even though i'm from Philippines. woah! lol!

Badgercat said...

If folks haven't been to Bronner's - you must go at least once. Christmas year-round and the place is unreal!

Susan said...

Thaundadogg, That is why I listen to Christmas music throughout the year. I can't stand the long wait for the radio stations to maybe play one or two of the old songs.

Susan

Susan said...

Badgercat,

I would love to go to Bronners, but don't think it will happen with the price of gasoline today. At least I get their catalogs, though I know it isn't the same as going to the store.

Susan

Unknown said...

Can you believe it's september already?

Listening to Johnny Mathis now and it taking me back.

Susan said...

Hi Robby,

Yes, only 106 days and just over 6 hours to go and it will be Christmas 2010. I can hardly wait.

Susan

Thaundadogg said...

Good thing you use mediafire with your uploads coz other sites sucks. Lot of pop ups and too long to wait for another download. Great!

Susan said...

Rapidshare and Mediafire deleted a lot of files. The only way to get a good speed with them is to pay for a premium account.

Susan

Tim said...

Susan -

Wow! What a find! I had no idea this even existed. Any histroy on this? Was this a one-off or a series? I'm thinking if it's a "Volume 1" there may be more...

Susan said...

Hi Tim,

To my knowledge, this was the only release. I guess they initially thought that this would do well in sales so they printed Volume 1 on it. But from what I've been able to find out there wasn't another release. Tim Neely's book only lists the one for this release. I actually had to use two copies to get everything as some of the tracks skipped. I've seen at least 30 of this particular one at Thrift Stores.

There was another release from FFMG, but not the same title. First Financial Marketing Group - "Christmas Through The Years" LP - MCA Special Products [DL 734596]

I don't know the year this one came out, but most likely it is a reissue of another compilation because it's the same artwork as Wayne King's Christmas Album "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and this was released on DECCA Records. I don't know the year the Wayne King LP was released. Also the songs are probably different.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Susan