I just found out yesterday that Margaret Whiting (Baby, It's Cold Outside ) with Johnny Mercer. She passed away on January 10th She was 86 years old.
Here she is singing "Baby It's Cold Outside" with Johnny Mercer
Though the audio quality isn't that great, here is her singing "Silver Bells" with Jimmy Wakely. There was a better quality sounding video, but it had a fake Yule Log so I didn't want to post that one.
Here she is singing "Christmas Candy" with Jimmy Wakely. There was a better sounding one too, but it was a reissue on a newer Capitol Records Label
The Best of Christmas in July from 2025
-
Well, here we are at the end of another great season of Christmas in July.
But before I go, I wanted to share this one last thing with a you, a
collectio...
1 week ago
4 comments:
Thanks for letting us know, Susan. Sad news, and what a fine voice! So clear & dreamy at times - could give Doris Day a run for her money. These 3 songs you found are treats, thank you. One other she sang on Capitol's "Christmas Kisses" collection was "Silent Night" It's the absolute favourite rendition at our house. Talk about soothing.
Margaret & Johnny's duet has never really been surpassed, has it?
Hi Tanktop,
You're welcome. She was one of the best. I had hoped to find a few more Christmas songs on YouTube but all I could really find was the three videos I posted. As I mentioned, there was a better quality one, but it used a fake Yule Log and I am an avid fan of the Original WPIX Yule Log and am fortunate enough to have been able to watch the first broadcast back in 1966. So I went with the one without the fake Yule Log.
Susan
It would have been great if she recorded enough material for a full Christmas album. I like her voice and her delivery of the lyrics of the songs.
I have to admit that if it wasn't for their Christmas releases, I would be totally unaware of many performers of this era. It's great that the internet gives a place for the music to live on --- and thanks for your contributions to that.
Hi Noma,
You're welcome
I am not an expert on the earlier artists, so I don't know if she did record any other Christmas songs or not.
It would be nice if here was an album of Christmas songs by her as she did indeed have wonderful voice. I do like a lot of older artist, but don't have all the music I would like from them.
Julie London, Very Lynn, Vera Ellen, Marlene Dietrich, June Valli and so many more.
Susan
Post a Comment