I found this today at a Thrift Store. The artwork isn’t in the best of shape, especially on the upper right hand corner of the back where it has been torn off.
The album has a few scuffs here and there and light scratches but it doesn’t skip. (The vinyl did look better at the Thrift Store but for its age it really isn’t in that bad shape)
I did my best at eliminating pips and pops and background noise but on a couple tracks, to me, they sound a little “tinny” I don’t know if it has something to do with them being a higher bitrate or what, but it only happened on a couple tracks and only after I tried eliminating the background noise. It was fine after the 60Hz hum removal and fine after the removing of the pips and pops. (I save the file after each step)
This album was recorded in RCA’s Music Center of the World, Hollywood, California, and Webster Hall, New York City.
EDITED 8/23/09 I re ripped the album and didn't use any background noise removal so the songs don't sound tinny.
Recording Engineers: Mickey Crofford, Hollywood, and Ed Begley, New York
Photography: Ken Whitmore
Album design: Wall Batterton


Track Listing:
Side One
01 The Prince of Peace (A Child Was Born)
02 See the Light
03 Silent Night
04 The Little Drummer Boy
05 O Holy Night (Cantique de Noël)
Side Two
01 O Bambino (One Cold and Blessed Winter)
02 Little White Donkey (Carrying the Lord to Jerusalem)
03 Some Children See Him
04 The Lord’s Prayer
05 What Child Is This
06 Christmas Is the Warmest Time of the Year
32 comments:
Thanks Susan!
You're welcome Yulie2. Hope they sounded alright for you.
You know it was only a few years ago that I learned that this was the same Ed Ames who played Jingo on Daniel Boone.
I had no idea he was a singer until then.
Hi Robby, I have been a fan of Ed Ames since I was a young child when I started watching Daniel Boone on TV. I can't remember if he ever sang on Daniel Boone or not as I haven't seen any episodes since it went off the air in 1970. (It has been released on DVD) I do remember Leonard Nimoy singing on Star Trek and I think he has a pretty good voice. Nowhere near as good as Ed Ames though.
Thanks so much for the share! Just wanted you know that Track 1 has a very peculiar sound. The rest sound great, though!
You're welcome. To me it sounds like he is singing into a tin cup or something. It has to do with something in the background noise removal. For some reason, especially on the first track. I can hear the tinny sound slightly on a couple other tracks but not as noticeable as the first track. So far, this is the only post that I've noticed this on. I may try re ripping it at 128kb and see if it makes a difference or not.
I seriously doubt that the 320 bitrate is to blame. In fact, I was overjoyed when I saw you had upgraded, because 128 is just about that threshold where most people can hear the diminished quality. (I rip my music at 192 and it seems to be a great balance.)
I would, however, bet plenty that the background noise removal is to blame for your audio problem. Frankly, I wish rippers would not use any suppression -- I love the way LPs sound, and personally I've always thought the pops and clicks sounded like a crackling fireplace.
But that's just me. Believe me, I am NOT going to complain when others have been so generous.
I too like the way vinyl records sound and prefer them over CD's. I'm sure if I had professional audio editing equipment that I could remove the background noise etc., much better and not degrade the sound quality the way software programs tend to do. Analog sound isn't compressed so it sounds much better than digitally compressed MP3's. But for the most part, MP3 players all sound about the same with headphones even if the MP3 is a lower bitrate. It's when you get into high quality audio equipment that you really appreciate the way the music sounds.
Only with the last couple rips I've done, I figured out how to remove the turntable rumble and background noise. It really made a difference on the Jackie Gleason "All I Want For Christmas" rip compared to the original rip I posted.
Several years ago, I was a secretary for a Professional Sound Company and they taught me how to use a lot of the equipment. Multi-track tape recorders, mixers, amplifiers, etc. It was a lot of fun. This was long before the digital age. We still had tube amplifiers back then lol (showing my age a little here lol)
Oh well, I do the best with the software I have. Just for some strange reason it didn't work very well with this particular album.
Thanks for posting this so quickly! I actually prefer this album to Ed's other Christmas album. His versions of "Some Children See Him" and "Little White Donkey" are tops! Such a great voice. Thanks again!
You're welcome. The Little White Donkey is my favorite from this album. Though I love anything that Ed Ames sings.
Uh, Robby, Ed played "Mingo" on DB.
A mistake in my name is better than a slight unsigned. Mingo it is. Since I haven't watched it since I was 5, it can be hard to remember.
No slight intended, Robby. [I'm unsigned because of technical issues (ancient computer, ancient operator, etc.).] I am really good at remembering useless and trivial details, but not important stuff...
I have been looking for this album for years. It was the one my mom played every Christmas, all my life. We moved a lot, because dad was in the Navy, and it was lost. My mom passed away 7 years ago and I have been trying to find a copy of this ever since. Do you think there any more out there in the world? Would you be willing to get it copied to a CD and sell it to me? Email me at: ives6227@cox.net
Hi Donna,
Thank you for visiting my blog. I do occasionally see this album on eBay but it is somewhat rare. I was fortunate to find this at a Thrift Store a couple weeks ago. I am going to try and redo the tracks that sound tinny and re upload the file to my blog.
Helen Steiner Rice:
Peace on earth will come to stay,
When we live Christmas every day.
Hi Charlotte, How true?
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Thanks Susan,
I tried to find this album for years. I grew up listening to this album but have been able to listen to it for a long time.
Thanks Susan,
I tried to find this album for years. I grew up listening to this album but haven't heard it for a long time.
I will always remember the scratch we had on the record and how the needle would always jump on little white donkey. Little white donkey, little white donkey, little white donkey, and then we would have to jump off the couch to move the needle. Good times!
Hi Chris,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Glad this brings back good memories for you.
Susan
I have been looking for the song "Christmas is the warmest time of the year" for 10 years! It was on a misc artist album growing up and the album has been lost and I didn't know who sang it but I LOVE this song - THANKS SO MUCH for rescuing it for me!!!
Ange
Hi Ange,
You're most welcome and thanks for visiting my blog.
On my two "Heintje" posts, I had been looking for one song from each album for over 20 years.
Only through the Internet, was I able to find out who artist was. I had the songs on an 8-track tape that I taped off the radio back in the 1970's, but they didn't mention who sang the songs.
Someone in my family had these two albums and I remember hearing them when we would visit our relatives when I was a child.
Susan
Include me in the category of "My mom played this when I was growing up and now it's embedded in my soul." I would have been happy to buy a CD or MP3 download from Amazon, but since it seems to be "out of print" I'm so happy to have found it here. I downloaded the #2 version and listened to one of the songs and the quality is excellent.
Thank you!
You're welcome and thank you for visiting my blog.
This is one of the albums that a lot of us remember from our childhood that our parent(s) played for us and you just don't hear them anymore.
Maybe this will inspire record companies to release some of this music on CD being there is a lot of interest in them.
Susan
As computer savvy as I am. . ha!ha! I couldn't figure out how to download the album.
I'm hoping you figured it out. I just want to keep everything simple and lean on the side of caution.
Susan
Hi, Susan! I know this is a LITTLE late, but I noticed in one of your posts from August '09 that you noted you didn't know whether Ed Ames had ever sung on DANIEL BOONE. Mingo does indeed sing in a few episodes - including opera in one! - but the ones that leap to mind are "The Ballad of Sidewinder & Cherokee", and the BEAUTIFUL death song he sings for his mother, Talota, in "Not in Our Stars", from the first season.
Hi Sherrie,
Thanks for the info. I haven't seen any episodes of Daniel Boone in a long time but I think RTN might be airing it. I think I saw that there was an episode earlier this summer, but we get it as a sub-channel of our local over the air Digital channels and it doesn't always come in. Our satellite provider doesn't have to give us to sub-channels so it's hit or miss with being able to watch RTN.
Thanks again.
Susan
Hi Susan! Thanks for the all the Christmas albums uploaded. I love them very much. May I also ask if you have Christmas albums from the Roger Wagner Chorale like "Joy To The World!" and "Caroles"? If you have them kindly help me locate the links as I could not do a search on your blogs. Thanks again and keep the good things going!
crisibarra1.
Thank you for visiting my blog. I don't know why the search function isn't working. I do have "Joy To The World" but haven't gotten around to ripping it and not sure if it skips or not as it's been a long time since I've played a lot of my albums. I may also have "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear"
The Roger Wagner Wagner Chorale does appear on compilation albums too and may be on some that I've posted in the past. If you go through the "Blog Archive" column on the right, you can see the previous posts.
I have 800 or more that are just Christmas albums. So it's hard to rely on memory and I have most of my Christmas albums in a cabinet next to my computer and then I have some under my computer table but to look for a specific album takes time as I had to rearrange everything to put up our Christmas tree so the order I had most of my albums in aren't the same.
I am trying to catalog them into a database on my computer so I know what I have and don't have so when I go to thrift stores and garage sales, etc., I don't purchase something I already have.
There was a compilation CD that had songs from both albums, but they are no longer in print.
The albums occasionally show up on Amazon.com and eBay.
I hope to be doing more with my blog in the near future so please check back from time to time.
Thanks.
Susan
Hi Susan! Thanks for the tip. I will surely regularly visit your blog as I really love the Christmas albums you are posting. I don't know if it's just me but a little description for your new posts would help a lot. Thanks again!
You're welcome crisibarra1.
Could you please email me at ChrstmsForever@aol.com?
Thank you.
Susan
Post a Comment