The Best of Christmas in July from 2025
-
Well, here we are at the end of another great season of Christmas in July.
But before I go, I wanted to share this one last thing with a you, a
collectio...
1 week ago
8 comments:
It is now 12th night, and I just found your blog. Heaven bless you, and thanks for this labor of love.
I seem to be having a hard time letting Christmas go this year (it seems to get harder every year).
Hi Tubbs,
You're welcome. I'm glad you found my blog. I too find it harder and harder each year to take down the tree and decorations, but people in the neighborhood would start complaining. They forget what the true meaning of Christmas is about and by having this blog, I am trying to keep The Spirit of Christmas" alive 365 days a year throughout the world.
If I had room, I would leave our tree up all year, but we don't have the room and then if we had company, they wouldn't understand why it is still up. So, I have to take it down later this week. The outside lights will stay up longer because it's too cold to try and take them down and the wires are stiff when it's this cold. A lot of people in our neighborhoods still have their outdoor lights up and lit too, but some took their tree down Christmas night and put it to the curb for the city to pick up being it was a real tree.
I always leave something Christmasy up all year around and I have a very small Christmas tree on my computer desk. And my computer is surrounded by Christmas albums either in a cabinet on the side of my computer desk or under it.
As I often say, "Christmas isn't just a day in December. It's a way of life"
Susan
Hey tubbs,that's my sentiment exactly! My wife & I celebrate the 12 Days too - that, at least, is the only way to fly. We play Christmas music almost exclusively to January's end, and I've felt the need to go right up to Valentine's.
Susan, you're an angel. You have provided us here (in Ontario) with a perfect library of Christmas songs to actually savour. Those "True Value" records are pure goodness! Very consistent, and about all you need for Yuletide listening fullfilment:)
Got the repeat button on, and just relishing the collections you've been sharing with us. It's late evening now - just going to take a walk and look at some of the last lights up in the neighbourhood. Well, still a couple, anyway, excluding our own!
Thanks again, and Happy New Year!
Thank you so much for your kind comments tanktop,
I actually will listen to Christmas music basically every day, but during the off season it has to be with headphones or if I am alone in our vehicle.
Today our tree is coming down as we have to rearrange our living room to make room for company to sit but I will leave my outdoor lights up longer and probably keep them on the timer being a lot of other houses in the neighborhood still have their outside lights lit.
The music I have posted here you just don't hear anymore it is from a time when Christmas meant more to a lot of people (please don't get me wrong as I know it still means a lot to some people) but it's not the same today as it was in the 1960's and early 1970's.
I just heard on the news that the government is forcing the light bulb manufacturers to go to CFL's or LED's to save energy so that means that even the regular C7's and C9's will be going away and you will have to go with the less bright LED's and most of the ones I've seen have a strawberry texture to them. So for people who have a lot of strings of the C7 and C9 light bulbs, when they burn out, it will be harder to find replacement ones and I've already noticed that a lot of the stores didn't even have the regular C7 or C9's this year.
So the most likely place to get them would be eBay and I'm sure they won't be cheap.
IKEA has already stopped making incandescent light bulbs.
We have some CFL's in our lamps and often we have to turn it on and off several times before it will light. Usually the first time it will come on and go off immediately as if it was a regular bulb that blew out.
They are supposed to save energy. They may save electrical energy, but you waste your own energy by having to turn them on and off several times before they will light. Then if you have them on a timer, forget it. 90% of the time you will have to manually turn the switch on the lamp on and off before the bulb will light.
Then too the CFL's have mercury in them and what happens if you accidentally drop one on the floor or something?
The incandescent bulbs, all you had to do was sweep up the broken glass and there wasn't anything hazardous in them.
Talking about saving energy, we live near a hospital and there is a medical professional building near us and they close at 5:00 PM but leave all the lights on 24 hours a day even when the building is empty. That isn't saving anything and is actually wasting energy.
The other thing, is it doesn't really cost anything to make our electricity (yes, they have to pay employees to monitor the generators, etc, but the process to make the electricity is free) being we don't get it from a Nuclear Power Plant or Coal Plant or even those Giant wind turbines. Our power comes from the Upper Niagara River and unless all the Great Lakes all of a sudden dry up then we have an unlimited supply of electricity.
I guess I am going to have to buy C7 and C9 bulbs as I find them and stock up on them. I have a small stock of the old C6 bulbs that all work, but only have two strings that have 7 sockets on them.
Susan
Good evening Susan - that was some rant about the Christmas lights!:)
Up here, Mrs. tanktop & I were as miffed as you about the phase-out of the classic Christmas bulbs. We don't have a lot of time to shop on our weekend, as we look after a lot of rescue animals which we've adopted. This is where comforting music, and especially Christmas music, comes in - to soothe us humans:))
Anyway, we make our shopping as 'one-stop' as possible, and are happy to go to Wal-Mart. So, we purchase what is available.
2 Christmases ago, we got our first LEDs. They were in fact much brighter than the older kind. We had to stuff them back into the tree (artificial) so they wouldn't burn our eyes out! It worked for us because we favour blue lights (so peaceful looking). The other thing besides the longer life of the bulbs, we realised they don't get nearly as warm. Safety is huge in our house because of our pets.
We both love the look of the old, classic lights, but the compromise has been good.
As regards the treasury of Christmas music you share with us Susan, I think you are bang-on about the best being from the '60s & early '70s. Then again, we are the same age, but the truth will out!
Hi tanktop,
The LED's that I bought this year were shaped more like the C9 bulb, but a little smaller and they were actually made of plastic that screwed on over the actual LED. I guess if I was to take the off the plastic bulb part that the lights would be much brighter, but also very intense to look at. It would be like having your picture taken with a flash, and then for a few minutes after, you see spots from the flash.
Glad you and your wife are in Animal Rescue. I have a few friends who are also involved and it's nice that you have actually adopted some yourselves and giving them a "Forever Home" I know that it can be difficult to take care of several animals. We have 2 dogs. One was a rescue and she is going on 12 years old. She was 3 months old when we got her from a rescue agency. She is a Lab/Shepherd mix and has to be on a special kidney diet. Then a couple years ago we purchased a MorKieChi (Maltese/Yorkshire/Terrier/Chihuahua) mix from a breeder.
Being I am disabled as is my roommate, it is a bit difficult to take care of them, and basically it is me that takes them their Vet appointments etc and it's easier if I don't have to take them on the same day. They both are like children to us and I don't know what we would do without them.
There are so many animals out there that are abandoned and/or abused. If we were in better health, we might have become fosters for them until they could find a Forever Home.
Getting back to the lights, I hope that they can make the LED's look more like the classic C6, C7 and C9's and a bit brighter than what I have now and I wouldn't mind using them, but the ones I have right now, you can tell just by looking at them that they are plastic and then when they are lit at night you see that they aren't as bright as the regular lights.
As for our age, I'm actually 52 but I do like music from even earlier than the 1950's
Susan
I love Christmas songs. Thanks for sharing this. I am glad to see you again.
http://lifestyle-india.blogspot.com/
Your welcome Rama Rohan and Thank you.
Post a Comment